The Office of the Secretary of Higher Education is seeking applicants for this position. The position will remain open until an appropriate candidate is identified. Please review all of the criteria below and share! Instructions for how to apply are at the end of this post.
Title: Software Development Specialist 1
Range: P 21
Reference #: OSHE-2017-001
Position #: 051909
No. of Vacancies: 1 (one)
Salary: $51,529.95 – $72,953.46
Location: Office of the Secretary of Higher Education, 1 John Fitch Plaza, Trenton, NJ
The Office of the Secretary of Higher Education is seeking a software development specialist/data analyst to support our Research department. We are looking for a passionate, certified individual. The successful candidate will turn data into information, information into insight and insight into decisions.
The software development specialist/data analyst will be a part of a core team to move our current data system to a new platform. The software development specialist/data analyst should be adept with SQL and open to using other applications for statistical analysis. The responsibilities encompass conducting full lifecycle analysis, which include data requirement activities and application design. The software development specialist/data analyst will develop analysis and reporting capabilities. They will also monitor performance and quality control plans to identify improvements. Assists in the training of system users. This position requires someone with the following capabilities:
- Proven working experience as a software development specialist/data analyst or business data analyst
- Knowledge of computer programming design considerations and differences between various programming languages to determine which is best suited for various business needs
- Technical expertise regarding data models, database design development, data mining and segmentation techniques
- Strong knowledge of and experience with reporting packages (Business Objects etc.), databases (SQL etc.)
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing datasets (Excel, R, SPSS, SAS etc.)
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Adept at query development, report writing and presentation of findings
- Ability to learn new software applications for reporting and analysis
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Information Management or Statistics.
Experience: One (1) year of programming, systems programming or computer analysis experience. Familiarity with higher education data is a plus.
- Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute additional experience as indicated on a year-for-year basis.
- A Master’s degree in Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Information Management or Statistics or other closely related field may be substituted for one (1) year of experience.
RESIDENCY: In accordance with the New Jersey First Act P.L. 2011 c.70, effective September 1, 2011, new employees are required to obtain New Jersey Residency within one (1) year of employment.
Interested applicants that meet the requirements listed above should send a cover letter and resume to:
or send your mateirals to the
Office of the Secretary of Higher Education
Attn: Donna Fletcher-Lugo, Director, Executive Services
PO Box 542
Trenton, NJ 08625-0542
The Office of the Secretary of Higher Education is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, and is committed to the Americans with Disabilities Act.